Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It was a stormy and punishing workout

"Off" day yesterday following heavy lifts. On such days I like to do sprint-like training. This week my plan on the heavy lift days is to reduce reps and aim for failures/maxes, and on non-lift days do, well, stuff like this. Next week I will probably go back to the 25 rep-bigger engine plan, unless I think of something else to try.

Track sprints: 5 sprint laps (each ~100m) with a lap of jogging/walking in between
Front Squat Tabata: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, for 4 minutes. I did the first 2 sets with 60# and had to drop down to 40# to respect this very punishing sequence. Doing the math, there were 8 sets total with the squats as fast as I could go. I averaged 12 reps in each of the 20-second sets.
Heavy Bag Tabata: Again, 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off for 4 minutes total. Each of the 20-second punching sets was a full-speed flurry with as much power as I could deliver- a much faster pace than in a typical 3 minute round. The limiting factor on speed was me having to chase the swinging bag all over the room.
Suicides: Short gym version: did 4 at a reasonable pace and sprinted the last one. lots of squeaking sneakers.

The legs hurt today but not as bad as I thought they would.

No comments:

Post a Comment