Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Gaining weight, and strength

It's official - I can now bench 185# in single rep. I did it last week, but the spotter touched the bar. She swore she only stabilized it and that it was "all me", but it takes muscle control to stabilize so I wasn't quite ready to call the game yet. Monday I had a good clean lift.

Also I had gained 2 pounds. I was a bit concerned until I got the fat check yesterday: it's all muscle. New stats are updated at right. I think the benefit has come from the plan to increase bench and also from diet.

I roll a bit different on diet than Jeff: I do not fast, I eat when I'm hungry and I am hungry every few hours. I had two eggs, bacon and cheese on an english muffin (the high protein/fiber version) for breakfast - and I'm already hungry again. If I hadn't already eaten the 5lb jar of nuts from Target I'd be having almonds. Instead I might go lift, and then have a big lunch.

So, this is building up muscle and strength - the question is, is that what I want to do? Sure, my 20 year high school reunion is coming up and I want the muscles to show - but after that, really it's about lifetime fitness. I am wondering if I should reduce overall calories and scale back the workouts, try to maintain a 92% lean composition at 147-148 lb and ramp up aerobic fitness, endurance and quickness.

To answer that, I'll increase monitoring of my blood pressure in the coming weeks while I try to increase another max - maybe deadlifts.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty awesome. That is a lot of weight as compared to your body weight.

    jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard,

    It is an odd coincidence to see the results you are having as I'm at a similar station. At 5'10", I started the Paleo lifestyle in May at 167# and body fat between 14-20%. Most recent numbers are 150lb (bottomed out at 146), and less than 10% body fat. Benched 185 2x today, no spot. Just started deadlifts a few months ago, so I have a ways to go. But your 300+ is damn impressive.

    Keep up the good work.
    -Andy

    ReplyDelete